Share This

Thursday, March 24, 2011
One thing I’m a fanatic about are browsers, there are around 6 browsers or more installed on my computer and all of them have their own features, but my primary browser of choice are Avant’s Orca Browser and Google Chrome, will Firefox 4 be included on my list? let see

image

It took me 3 days to fully test and play around with Firefox 4, and Mozilla’s new browser seems to have a lot of hits and also miss.




The new look of the browser was great especially if you’re using Windows 7 as they really integrated the glass panel look of Windows 7 to the browser. Another great thing I liked is the tab grouping (See video below). It really manages your tabs really well, a welcome feature. The new Firefox sync worked well, as all my bookmarks,settings and passwords can easily be accessed and applied to another Firefox in another computer by just simply logging in. The New engine and HTML 5 were great and it was really noticeable when opening Firefox as it only took less than 2 seconds compared to 5 seconds on the old Firefox 3.


With all the great new features, there were still a lot of things that I didn’t like about Firefox 4. One of the biggest thing that surprised me upon opening Firefox 4 for the first time is that 95% of all my plug ins are no longer compatible, and it seems it will take at least a week for the authors to redo their code for the new Firefox 4, which is a big turn off. Even though the start up is now faster, it is still a notch slower to Chrome, and one thing I really hate about Firefox4 is the theme from my old Firefox 3 was carried on and applied to the new one, which fucked the whole browser, I had to turn it off manually after 5 minutes of researching how to.

I did 2 tests comparing the 4 browsers , (IE9, Orca Browser *Uses Firefox 3 engine, Google Chrome, and Firefox 4) here are the results.

The first test is the ACID TEST 3, which tests the various elements of the browsers especially JavaScript and Document Object Models.

ie9 acid
Internet Explorer 9
orcaacid
Orca Browser *Firefox 3 engine

Firefoxacid
Firefox 4

acid3 chrome An Acid test with Chrome, IE9 and Firefox 4
Google Chrome
The 2nd test is HTML 5, which is a rather new programming languge with a lot of cool features and there are still no existing browser that can fully support it but here are the different browsers’ scores
IE9HTML5
Internet Explorer 9
orcahtml5
Orca Browser *Firefox 3 engine
firefoxhtml5
Firefox 4
chromehtml5
Google Chrome
PROS: Faster than Firefox 3, The group Tab is a nice feature, The Sync works great


CONS: Still Under par to Chrome, Old Plug-ins doesn’t work, The Theme from your old Firefox 3 are carried over but doesn’t display correctly. Some questionable loading time while browsing


Rating: (out of 5 stars)
sc-goldstars1sc-goldstars1sc-goldstars1


Eijan Says: IF you are a Firefox fanatic, get it and start using it. If not, Stay with Chrome or Opera, they are still superior.

That’s all for now

Peace Out

0 comments:

Lower Post AD

Your Ad Here

ADS BY:

About Me

My Photo
Eijan Ochoco
Likes to understand how things work
View my complete profile

Unique Visitors

Technology & Computers - Top Blogs Philippines Philippines Blog Directory

Master Blog

Master Blog
Master Directory of all of my Blogs

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter