Share This

Sunday, March 7, 2010
NOTE: If you don’t know the meaning of overclocking, please read my post Blog – Basics of Overclocking a PC


All of you might be wondering what is the performance upside of my PC ‘Cordoba’ to my old Dell Optiplex 755 PC, well let me remind you first about the Optiplex’s benchmark results:


Dell OPTIPLEX 755 BENCHMARKS:


3dmark 3dMark Vantage score - 2732

3dmark06 3Dmark 06 Score – 1828

Now. this is the stock settings of Cordoba, I haven’t tweak any of the hardware. 

Let me remind you, about the SPECS of Cordoba:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q SE PLUS
Processor: Intel Q6600 G0 2.4GHZ
RAM:2x2GB Patriot Gamer Series ddr2 800mhz
Video Card: HiS Radeon 5770
HD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 7200 RPM 32mb Cache
ODD: Lite-ON DVD RW 22x
Case: Silverstone RAVEN 2
Keyboard: OCZ Alchemy Elixir Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: OCZ Behemoth Gaming Mouse
Speaker: Logitech X-210
CPU COOLER: OCZ Vendetta2
PSU: Silverstone Strider Low Noise 500W (Modular)


CORDOBA (STOCK SETTINGS)
CPU TEMPS: 22C idle and 33C Load


3dv06
3dMark Vantage score - 17965

3d06 3dMark 06 Score – 11980

Next, these are the results when i overclocked the hardware. The CPU was rated at 3.0 GHZ (333MHZ (FSB) * 9 CPU MULTIPLIER) and the GPU to 960 MHZ Core Clock and 1445 Memory CLock, i didn’t change any RAM Timing or voltages and as a result the system was unstable and gave me poor results.* NOTE: 3.0 GHZ was considered the USER FRIENDLY LIMIT of the q6600, beyond that, you have to use some advance overclocking techniques.

CORDOBA (@3.0 GHZ Unstable)
CPU TEMPS: 34C idle and 52C Load

3dv06oc
3dMark Vantage score - 22447

3d060c 3dMark 06 Score – 15036

After tweaking the cpu voltages which i set to 1.3V and also the RAM frequencies, i also found a much stable clock for the GPU which was around 920 MHZ Core Clock and 1400 Memory Clock, it gave me a higher result on the benchmark. A STABLE SYSTEM MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE

CORDOBA (@3.0 GHZ STABLE)
CPU TEMPS: 32C idle and 50C Load

3dv06soc
3dMark Vantage score - 23107

3d06sc 3dMark 06 Score – 15249

Screenshot of the TESTING procedure
OCedCLICK TO VIEW IN HIGHER DETAIL

But i wasn’t satisfied, i decided to push the system more, i decided to go with 3.2GHZ because going beyond it seems dangerous because the temperature were already high and the voltages were almost at its limit.
It took me almost a week of testing to make my system stable, I decided to overclock the CPU with the following settings:
400 MHZ FSB * 8 CPU MULTIPLIER = 3.2GHZ, and bump the CPU voltage to 1.385V and also bump the voltage of the North Bridge Controller from the default 1.2V to 1.4V. I decided to change the multiplier to 8 so that i can time it correctly with my RAMS which was rated @801MHZ (with 355mhz *9cpu multiplier, the RAMS were rated at 875MHZ which can unstable my PC).I also changed the C1Step and also disabled the voltage saving feature of my CPU. I decided to go with the stock settings of the GPU because i was having problem with the OC setting with some games and for only 2-3 FPS, OCing was not worth it. *NOTE: Please read on some ANVANCED OVERCLOCKING TECHNIQUES before Overclocking your PC beyond its USER FRIENDLY limits.

CORDOBA (@3.2 GHZ STABLE)
CPU TEMPS: 34C idle and 57C Load

3dv063.2sc 3dMark Vantage score – 24291

3d063.2C
3dMark 06 Score – 15937

Here is a screenshot after testing the stability of the PC on PRIME95
OC 3.2 CLICK TO VIEW IN HIGHER DETAIL

Finally, the long awaited article is DONE

That’s all for now

PEACE OUT!!

P.S.~ If you have questions about overclocking your PC, leave a comment on the comment box, and i’ll try to help you out.

0 comments:

Lower Post AD

Your Ad Here

ADS BY:

About Me

My Photo
Eijan Ochoco
Likes to understand how things work
View my complete profile

Unique Visitors

Technology & Computers - Top Blogs Philippines Philippines Blog Directory

Master Blog

Master Blog
Master Directory of all of my Blogs

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter